I am excited about the growing ubiquity of mobile and cloud technologies and the potential to build and enhance ecosystems that allow users to effortlessly interact with their devices, data, content, and each other, making new and everyday digital activities delightfully simple—anywhere.
I bring an MS, Cognitive Science and 14 years of User Experience Design (UXD) practice working with web and software products for a broad range of users. As a consummate team player in teams involving diverse stakeholders, I approach projects with a fun, collaborative spirit, generating designs, "riffing" from existing ideas, and fostering consensus.
Specific areas of expertise include:
- Synthesizing user and domain research, requirements, constraints, etc. into “big pictures” and sdesigns that fit and improve ecosystems of users’ activities, tasks, and tools
- Creating low to high fidelity prototypes (paper sketches, Balsmiq, HTML/CSS, Photoshop), screen-flow diagrams, UI documentation, pattern libraries, presentations, and reports
- Communicating designs and user research to teams and stakeholders, collaborating and iterating in accordance with research, feedback, or scope and implementation challenges
- Mentoring teams in UXD techniques, working with them throughout development lifecycle
Axway2011 to 2012
Interaction Designer, Consultant
With Product Manager and architect team, guided UX for cloud-based service, from brainstorming to prototype, and proposed vision for mobile interactions. Designed new patterns, extended existing product based on HTML/CSS/JS and Salesforce’s Force.com platform, and collaborated with product managers, architects, and developers in an Agile environment.
Juniper Networks2003 to 2010
Interaction Designer 2007-2010, Usability Consultant 2003-2007
Designed, evaluated, and rebranded Web applications and sites, including:
- Order Status Tool: Redesigned tool to improve usability and created richly interactive UI patterns, setting and documenting new standards for Juniper apps
- License Management System: Designed and scaled application from two product lines to 18 over six years
- Public, partner, and customer sites and applications: various roles for five site-wide redesigns
User Experience Researcher, Contractor 2003
Evaluated designs using usability tests, surveys, and online discussion group. Provided results and suggested design directions via debriefings, presentations, and full reports to product teams including interaction designers, product managers, and visual designers. Products included Yellow Pages, Web application for businesses, and Search.
Usability Architect 2001-2002
Approved usability of all functional designs for suite of three products (v4.5).
Initiated and conducted Kintana’s first usability study with premier clients Cisco, Applied Materials; reduced scrolling by 60% in flagship products’ main transaction screens. Designed suite-wide common components for both web-based and Java applet.
Championed GUI standards to 70-developer department including interaction designers, graphic designers, developers, and development managers over two development cycles.
Knight Ridder Digital1999-2001
Principal contributor on design team, guiding UX and HTML/CSS for RealCities (RC) network, including search engine and directory behavior, weather, site administration tools, and RC user authentication system. Created look-and-feel and HTML standards; wrote RC style guide.
Designed RC Marketplace (2000 EPpy finalist for Best Online Shopping Application) in a company-record design-to-release timeline, introducing new UX design methods.
Created UX development process and staffing plan with VP-Technology, Software Development.
Usability Engineer, Consultant2000
Clients: Telleo Inc., Women.com
Conducted heuristic evaluation of Web site and voice menu system. Designed usability lab, specifying vendors and products.
Usability Engineer, Intern
Managed three-engineer team. Designed and conducted usability benchmark study of MS Office 2000’s core UI. Created new procedure, improving preparation time and reliability by 66%.
University of California, San Diego
MS-Cognitive Science (1998). Advisor: Edwin Lee Hutchins
Thesis (1997): ”The Organization of Action in a Socially Distributed Cognitive System”. Created and used a usability lab with videotape, transcription, and analysis.BS-Cognitive Science (1994)
magna cum laudePhi Beta Kappa
Training classes: “Interaction Design Practicum” (Cooper), “Designing Usable Web Sites” and “Paper Prototyping” (User Interface Engineering), “Presenting Data and Information” (Edward Tufte).
Awards and Affiliations
2006 CSAT Award (Best Support Website): Juniper Networks
2000 EPpy Award Finalist (Best Online Shopping Application): RC Marketplace, Knight Ridder Digital
Member: BayCHI, ACM SIGCHI, Phi Beta Kappa